19 March 2010

LOVE, LUST & BROKEN PROMISES


Second position in English poetry at the 4th Intermedicos Arts Fest held at CSI Medical College, Karakkonam in November 2008


'Twas my dream, my soul
'As I love, loved to be'!
Yet the sands of time it took from me
My Love that made Life worth living!

My bonny bird, she was ever so fair
I felt my heart do drumrolls!
It beat against my breast demanding
That we were ever together!

Stolen glances, fleeting smiles
'Twas all I ever got!
To soothe my heart that went glorious mad
Whenever my eyes beheld her!

Her coming was my hope each day
Her parting was my anguish!
Any delay in her coming
Was like Ice in every vein!

On midsummer's eve, at the county ball
The floodgates of my heart burst forth open!
Down went I on my knees, gallant
And asked for her hand in mine!

Doe-eyes batted their lashes softly
Bashed smiles played over her face!
Down stooped she and her tresses hid
Our faces and our kiss!

My bonny bird swore with her sealing kiss
'To be mine eternally'!
'Come what may, we'll endure the same
Our natures shall entwine'!

Oh! The taste of Bliss for mortal man
Entices through and through!
To let go of the sublime feeling?
Death would've been more welcome!

I horrors scorned, dangers ignored
I passed impetuous by!
My love, my lust for my bonny bird
Glowed like embers in Heart's hearth!

My bliss soon crossed its meridian
Storm clouds approached fast!
Yet delirious in my lust I was, alas!
Oblivious to treachery!

My bonny lass, she was all this time
In ardent love with another!
Stumbled I upon this truth
In my home, in my room!

There she was, wrapped in another's embrace
They broke apart when I stepped in!
Doe-eyes looked bloodshot at me
In silent plea for Forgiveness!

The snake of Jealousy stirred in my heart
It reared its ugly head!
Frenzy made me strangle to death
Both she and her lover!

My world spinned! My heart heaved!
Breath came out in bursts!
And not one whit of Regret passed
In my Stone Heart then!

For 'twas she, she who broke her promise
'To be mine eternally'!
Now Loyalty was dashed on the rocks
As I was left abandoned!

Life's lost its meaning now
Sun at noon darkens in an eclipse!
My heartstrings shred to pieces by her
Oh, passionate reader! Was it so wrong to have loved so truly??

No comments:

Post a Comment